Vaelominati rule no 12 stays:
“While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is
n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as
s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.”
So here it is, next one.
Short story in pictures, basically I had some free time to repaint old Giant frame. Managed to buy some white giant stickers, and as I’m simpleton, really didn’t have too much choice of a colour so painted black. Whole procedure too about a week (5 layers of transparent lacquer). Had already wheels, handlebars, brakes. So purchased Shimano gruppo 105-5700 (in black of course) and put everything together. I’ve tried document all the steps, but is really a pleasure building from new components. Whole thing took one afternoon 3h or so. Beer is essential because will slow you down so is less likely you’ll make mistakes ;-). You need to stop have a sip…
Frame prep. I’ve cleaned seat tube inside, greased seat post (not kidding). They’re both alloy so need to be greased to prevent sticking together, and (sometimes) making cracking noise. Bolts treated with medium strength threadlocker (deralieur hanger, bottle cages). Cable guide (included with groupset! wow) screwed to frame. Fork in place, temporarily stem screwed in. Everything goes on stand and as first addition poor-man slapchain guide beed added made from old handlebar tape (don’t throw them away!)
Chronologically. Added brakes, bottom bracket in place, crank added, both deraileurs screwed in. Wheels tyres on. My weapon of choice are Gatorskin Conti as that will be “weather bike”. Cassette, handlebars, levers, saddle and pedals.
Time to put shoes on and set up saddle handlebars and levers. Sit down and try it. I’m doing it before because that will determine cables length. Brakes at first then dérailleurs, then added barrel adjusters.
Chain cut to length and connector been used rather than pin. Gears/brakes finally adjusted (YT tutorials: rear mech, front mech, brakes, headset). Ready for test roll on the road. Minor adjustments and ready for the last bit handlebar tape (best tutorial on YT).
Happy days ahead…