DIY bonanza again
DIY bonanza continues, and again I recreated (almost) Alpkit bags. This time I made Mk2 of the frame bag I’ve got already. The bag is proven to be probably the most useful piece of kit, mostly for storing hardware like tent poles/pegs, pump, puncture kit, battery pack etc. The only change I’ve done this time is additional hole for cable on the side. Construction is simple not to say primitive. Two side panels on the left hole for cable
(corresponding with same hole in top tube bag) on the left (always dismounting on the left side) is zipper, and there’s no point to split the bag so it’s one large compartment. Polyester webbing around and stitched in places (Alpkit idea) to create attachment points for Velcro straps.
Top bag is a similar construction: two side panels, zipper in the middle, cable hole on the right. On front and bottom is piece of webbing sewn same way as on frame bag, to provide “loops” for velcro straps.
Both bags are made of Cordura type fabric which is quite stiff and thick, and probably better choice will be some kind of reinforced polyester or something. The problem with Cordura is when you sewing thick material like that it is real pain to make all tight corners nicely, but I wanted to make it on cheap from the stuff I already got. Anyway bags came out as expected, and despite the fact I’m not happy with quality of my stitching they should do the job. Below short story in pictures.
Take a look at @lavelocita’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/lavelocita/status/741818629239382017?s=09
DIY Hub Dynamo USB Charger Inside Handlebar
I’m thinking about dynamo, but usb chargers for 6V hub dynamo are either expensive or shit. I think I’m going to DIY it in the nearest future. Below is definitely an easy option. Tempting… We’ll see
DIY – Dracula fuel bag
I’ve decided to make my own “snack bag” for the bike, basically used the idea from Alpkit Stem Cell (with my own dimensions) and make my first piece of gear with liner. Didn’t go as I expected, so at the end I had to cut some corners. Normally the easiest way is to sew the liner and then sew it to the outer shell, but the position of stitching needs to be carefully thought through. I made mistake and some of the stitching are inside. Minor detail next time I’ll do it properly. All in all the bag is doing the job as you can see.
That’s how Marceli seen our trip to France 😉
Keep your mule well hydrated
First time we went as a whole family, for a bike trip to France for 5 days. Despite keeping fingers crossed, weather was mixed, so we really had a chance to experience everything. Sat – dense fog, Sun,Mon – a bit windy but sunny mostly (we done two “stages”), Tue – bloody windy! plus heavy rain, Wed – relatively calm but low clouds with a bit of drizzle. Because of that, we tested all gear we had. Boys and my better half made absolutely brilliant, riding on Monday (fully loaded) 72km. Nice people met, 3 museums visited, couple of bottles emptied. Memories on SD cards, and more importantly, inside us.
Stay tuned for more pics and keep them rolling.